Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Why I Love...You've Got Mail

I am introducing two new series for Banana Grove Designs in the next two weeks. One of them is a guest posting series scheduled for every Wednesday called Inspired. I am extremely excited to introduce it to you and will do so in greater detail next week. Very very excited!!!

Today, I am beginning a series that's just for me and won't run at specific times. As you may have already concluded it's called "Why I Love..." The possibilities are endless. It could be a review or just me gabbing about something I enjoy, but because I love a lot of things, I'll never run out of material. Trust me. First up:

Why I love...

One of my favorite movies is You've Got Mail. I put it in when I want something warm and fuzzy playing in the background while I work. Here are reasons why it's something I love...

1. This movie proves that you don't need raunch to have a great romantic comedy (a concept that seems foreign today). Good acting, beautiful directing, intelligent writing and a simple plot make it timeless and one of the best of its kind.

2. This movie makes me fall in love with seasons. Autumn, winter and spring are showcased to perfection. It almost makes me want to spend a year in New York City. (But then I remember that it's a movie and the streets aren't really that pristine and creeper-free.)

3. The BOOKS! There are lots of fun references to classic children's literature and novels in general. Also, the bookstore sets are so incredibly detailed and it's fun to recognize things on the shelves.

4. All of the scenes in which Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan's characters interact... They have the easiest time communicating and being together even when they're arguing.

5. The music. I own the bouncy, happy soundtrack to this movie. Harry Nilsson pretty much rules the whole thing.


6.Every set in the movie is so detailed and perfect. I even like the gym. But, I would especially like to live in an apartment like Meg Ryan's and own a bookstore like The Shop Around the Corner. Basically, I want to live inside the movie.

7. The supporting characters add so much to the story. Even little Steve Zahn and his haircut add a lot. And the scene with Dave Chappelle outside the cafe is hilarious.

8.  I love that I saw something new after having watched it 30 somethin' times. It was only then that I recognized what she thought that made her cry at the end... She realized that he showed up at the coffee shop after all. (After watching it so many times, I consider myself an expert on what the characters are thinking.)

9. This movie reminds me of my mom. This has been one of her go-to happy movies since it was released in '98.


So, there you go. I've learned that I am super-invested in this movie to a possibly unhealthy level. And you've learned that you should go watch You've Got Mail. If you've seen it, what are some of your favorite things about it? (I'm assuming you liked it, but if you didn't I'd be willing to calmly read why.) :)

-Song

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's start a conversation!