Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Help :: My Review



"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

I'm writing about reading today! One of my most favorite things. I'm crazy about it. Expect to read about more of it here. Today, it's about a book that's a new favorite. Without further ado...

On the way down to Alabama a few weeks ago, I began reading The Help. I never saw the movie when it came out because I was wanting to read the book first. But then, I accidentally watched the last 10 mins on tv without realizing they were the last 10 mins (darnit), so I had to hurry and read it. Before hitting the road, I finally grabbed a copy from the library and couldn't put it down!

If you don't know the story, it's about a young white woman in the mid-60s in Jackson, Mississippi who decides to write a book of testimonies given by the black maids that work for her friends. In the process of doing this, all of her friends turn against her and she becomes very close to the women she's writing about. The author, Kathryn Stockett did an amazing job of telling the story from the perspectives of three different women. Each one has their own unique voice, style and sense of humor.The main characters really draw you in because, even though they are often in life-threatening situations given the racial tension of the time, they're also women taking care of homes, children, dying parents and each other, which makes them very relatable.

There are a few elements I found uncomfortable/gross to read about as well as some colorful words, but if that doesn't bother you, you'll really enjoy this one. The strength of the women in The Help is inspiring and the fact that the world they lived in was real is devastating. Overall, it's centered on doing the right thing even when no one else will and protecting other human beings. It's a book that makes us ponder something good, which is what all the best books do. :)

Have you read it? What'd you think?

-Song

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's start a conversation!